2021 Riding for the Brand Competition
Qualifying Tests October 13-15, 2021
Championship October 16, 2021
Riding for the Brand
Riding for the Brand was an unwritten code of the Old West but understood by everyone who agreed to live the cowboy life on the open range — that the cowboy should always “ride for the brand.” In the early days of the American West, a brand was a ranch’s trademark. It meant protecting the ranch and its livestock, whatever it took. The brand also represented pride, duty, stewardship, loyalty and dedication.
Perhaps a few lines of a cowboy poem say it best:
“Ridin’ for the brand means to help neighbors and friends
search for that one last stray,
even though you’re tired and it’s the end of the day.
It’s just not the cowboy way to quit.”
Cowboy Dressage reflects those principles of being moral, just, fair and dedicated.
General Information for Riding for the Brand
Entry Fee $325
(Includes 3 tests & 2 test championship, shirt & website promotion)
Qualifying tests are as follows:
Cowboy Dressage World Challenge Test Walk/Jog/Lope – Test 2
Partnership on the Ground Test 2
Walk Jog Lope Freestyle
- The Riding for the Brand is open to Amateur Riders, Open Riders, Clinicians and Professionals.
- All riders must be 18 years or older.
- Riders may enter more than one horse. If a rider has more than one horse in the Top Five, then the highest scoring horse must be ridden.
- The same rider and horse combination is required in all 3 tests and Championships
- Walk Jog Lope Freestyle must salute at beginning and end of test.
- All Riding for the Brand Walk Jog Lope Freestyle music must be turned into office on Tuesday by 5:00 p.m. Sound tests will be Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. Place to be determined. All music must be on thumb drive or CD with only one selection of music. If there is championship music that is different it must also be on a separate thumb drive or CD. No multiple music on either. This must be labeled (with rider’s name and when to start music) for qualifying test or championships.
Qualifying Tests to be held during show days. These will be specialty classes and for Riding for the Brand Entries only.
Wednesday, October 13th – Riding for the Brand Partnership on the Ground Test 2
Thursday, October 14th – Riding for the Brand Challenge Walk/Jog/Lope Test 2
Friday, October 15th – Riding for the Brand Walk Jog Lope Freestyle
- The Top 5 riders for Final Competition to be posted by 7:00 p.m. on Friday, October 15th.
- The 6th place winner should be on stand-by for the Championship Competition.
- Mystery test can be picked up at the office one hour before the start of the Final Competition on Saturday, October 16th (Approximately 5:00 p.m.)
- Championship starts Saturday, October 16th in Arena 1. Approximately 6:30 PM.
- Awards will be given one hour after the competition ends on Saturday evening.
- A total of the percentage scores of all three tests for each horse/rider combination will be used for placings of the top five riders for the Championship.
- Two tests will be ridden by the Top Five riders. Both percentage scores will be combined for the Champion.
First: Mystery Test
Second: Walk Jog Lope Freestyle (There will be no required maneuvers)
- All Cowboy Dressage World Rules will apply. Rules can be found at https://cowboydressageworld.com/resources/rules-and-guidelines/ ; if there is a conflict in Rule Verbiage – these Rules take precedence.
- Each Rider must be a member of The Cowboy Dressage World Hand Shake (free). https://cowboydressageworld.com/membership-with-a-handshake/
- Each Rider must be a Remuda Member in good standing. https://cowboydressageworld.com/membership-with-a-handshake/join-us/
- Same horse and rider combination must compete in all three qualifiers to be eligible for the Championship.
- Substitutions of a horse and/or rider is allowed ($100 substitution fee) up until Tuesday, October 12th by 5:00 p.m. with veterinary excuse or approval by CDW Partners. Refunds only before entry closing date with written veterinary or Doctor’s excuse. No refunds after entry closing date.
- All exhibitors should check our Rules and Guidelines page.
- Entries and release will be on a separate entry blank
- Each rider must submit:
– A photo of yourself with your horse
– A short bio.
– Shirt size.
Entry will not be considered complete without these.
Send photo, bio and shirt size to Debbie Beth-Halachmy at: email@example.com. In Subject line put: Riding for the Brand. This information is due at close of entries. Pictures and bios will be posted at: cowboydressageworld.com.
These are due at close of entries
- All entries, bios, pics and profiles will be featured on Cowboy Dressage World Website.
Tuesday, October 12th, 7:00 p.m.
Meeting of all Riding for the Brand competitors at show office.
Shirts to be handed out.
Wednesday. October 13th
Riding for the Brand Partnership on the Ground Test 2
Arena and times to be determined.
Thursday, October 14th
Riding for the Brand Challenge Walk/Jog/Lope Test 2
Arena and times to be determined.
Friday, October 15th
Riding for the Brand Walk Jog Lope Freestyle
All Freestyle rules apply
Friday, October 15th, 7:00 p.m.
Top Ten riders to be posted by Show Office (only top 5 show back on Saturday evening
for championship) top 10 must be present for awards. Do not have to be mounted.
Saturday, October 16th
Mystery Test handed out at office (one hour before start of final competition)
Draw for order of go. (same order of go for both tests)
Top five ride Mystery Test
Top five ride a Freestyle. It can be different than their qualifying test. (4 minutes); there are no required maneuvers.
Awards one hour after final competition