Cowboy Dressage World Top Hand 2018
Our Fourth Year of Outstanding Horsemanship
Rancho Murieta Equestrian Center – October 13 and 14, 2018
Saturday, October 13th evening – Qualifying Rides
Sunday, October 1
4th, morning — Top Hand Finals
In Cowboy Dressage we honor the tradition of the Cowboy and the lifestyle of the West while building partnership and harmony with our horses. We believe that in order to create the ultimate horse we have to be the ultimate partner for that horse. By working to improve communication with the horse through soft feel we aim to create the perfect working partner that is soft and willing and capable and able to take on any job on the ranch or in the arena.
Creating that partnership and relationship with a horse requires a rider that is dedicated to the goal of soft feel. While it takes time to develop true partnership in a horse, a rider that embodies soft feel can cultivate partnership in any horse that he mounts. A true horseman can quickly adapt to communicate with each horse that he comes into contact with. You might say the rider that has embraced the principles of soft feel and partnership in Cowboy Dressage is worthy of being called a Top Hand.
As we in Cowboy Dressage honor the Cowboy we also honor the horseman and no skill in the horseman is as highly valued in Cowboy Dressage as the skill of soft feel and partnership. Do you think you have what it takes to be a Top Hand? Cowboy Dressage World is poised to give you the opportunity to find out.
While the end goal of Cowboy Dressage is not the competition we feel that it is right and fitting to honor the Top Hands out there that have dedicated the time and energy to become worthy of the title. Though we no longer have the ability to prove our worth while riding for the brand each season, we can get together to showcase and honor the work we have done with our horses and recognize the men and women that have made themselves worthy of being deemed Top Hand.
General Information for Top Hand Competition
- Open to Amateur and Open Riders, Clinicians and Professionals.
- All riders and wranglers must be 18 years or older.
- Riders may enter more than one horse.
- Qualifying test is Cowboy Dressage Challenge Test Walk/Jog/Lope – Test 2
- If rider has more than one horse in Top Five, then highest scoring horse must be ridden.
- All Cowboy Dressage World Rules will apply. Rules and Guidelines if there is a conflict in Rule Verbiage – these Rules take precedence.
- Part one of the Top Five Competition will be ridden on qualifying horse. All riders are aware that the Top 5 Competitors will be required to switch horses for second ride of Top Five Competition on Sunday a.m. The switch will be determined by a draw. A mystery test will be ridden twice: Once on the competitor’s qualifying horse and then once on the draw/switch horse. A combined score of both tests will determine the winner. The preliminary test score is not calculated towards championship.
- A separate Release of Liability must be signed for Top Hand Competition.
- All riders must be members of The Cowboy Dressage World Hand Shake (free). http://www.cowboydressage.com/images/pages/world/signup.html
- If you are showing in both the Gathering and Finals, as well as Top Hand, a separate entry form will be required. However, only a one-time fee is required for stall/tack and drug fee.
- Wranglers are allowed for Top Five Horses. Wrangler stays with horse during switch for riders and must sign the release form.
- For switch rides, rider may change saddle but not bridle.
- Wrangler may offer water to horse if needed.
- All Top Hand Competition Tests will have only maneuvers or combination of maneuvers already required in our approved tests.
- Substitutions of a horse and/ or rider is allowed ($100 substitution fee) up until Friday, October 12th at 5:00 a.m. with veterinary excuse or approval by CDW Partners. Refunds only before entry closing date with written veterinary or Doctor’s excuse. No refunds after entry closing date.
- All exhibitors should check rules page at Rules and Guidelines for new rules for 2018.
- On Saturday, October 13th all Top Hand riders may not use the court for warm up before competition. Any familiarization to arena must be done in arena outside the court itself.
- All riders must supply a photo of themselves and their horse with a short Shirt size is a must too. Entry will not be considered complete without these. Send photo, shirt size and bio to Debbie Beth-Halachmy at: firstname.lastname@example.org. In Subject line put: CDW Top Hand. This information is due at close of entries. All this will be listed at: cowboydressageworld.com.
- Please check back often as there may be unforeseeable changes.
Schedule for Top Hand Competition
Want to see the daily highlights from the Gathering and Finals show. Tune in to: Riding Point with Dr Karl, where all the latest Gathering News is heard first! This evening report will be posted on Eitan’s Facebook page Click Here. Be sure to share with your friends…
Friday , October 12th at 6:30 p.m.
- Draw to be held by office at 6:30 p.m. for order of qualifier go. Riders may be present.
- Order of qualifier go posted by Office October 12th by 8:00 p.m.
- Qualifying Test for Saturday Qualifying Rides – Cowboy Dressage Challenge Test Walk/Jog/Lope – Test 2
- If there is a conflict of drawn ride times for riders with multiple horses, then ride times will be managed by show office.
- Question and Answer on Friday, October 12th 6:30 p.m. after draw for Top Hand ride times. Discussions, updates, etc. Be there!!
- Photo Shoot to follow Q & A. Location TBA
- Top Hand Shirts to be handed out.
- Mystery Test will be handed out.
Saturday, October 13th evening – Arena 1
- 5:00 p.m. Dinner (tickets purchased on entry form)
- 6:00 p.m. Qualifying Rides Begin
- One Judge will judge Qualifying Rides
- Top 10 finalists to be posted an hour after final qualifying Top Hand ride
Sunday, October 14, 8:00 a.m. – Arena 1
Top 10 Riders
- Top Ten Riders/Horses will be present in Arena 1 at start time.
- Must be mounted and ready to compete.
- Sixth –Tenth Place Riders will be announced
- Sixth –Tenth Place Riders will leave arena and Top Five will stay for draw.
- Draw to take place for order of go for Top Five Riders.
- 6th place rider/horse should be on deck in warm up arena in case of any last-second scratches.
- Top Five auctioned off in a Calcutta.
- Upon completion of Calcutta Bidding on Top Five Riders, rides will to begin.
- The combined score of the 1st and 2nd Go (Mystery test) will determine the placings for Champion.
- The previous Qualifying score is not counted in final Top Five Placings.
- 50% of the score is on general impression: Soft Feel, Partnership and Harmony.
- 50% of the score is based on technical merit.
The Top Five Riders
- Top Five Horses will have time to familiarize themselves with arena during Calcutta but cannot go inside court.
- Top Five Horses cannot leave the arena.
- Top Five Riders can leave for bathroom break if needed – use Wrangler.
- The first rider will have 2 minutes before the bell rings to warm up and then 45 seconds after the bell to enter arena at A and begin test.
- Each rider thereafter will have 2 minutes to warm up once previous rider leaves arena at A. They will then have 45 seconds after the bell to enter arena at A and begin test.
Switch Go for Top 5 Top Hand Riders – Mystery Test
- Upon completion of all First Go rides, wranglers will hold horses and a draw for “the switch” will take place. Wrangler will stay with horse and rider cannot mount or handle horse until 2-minute notice is given. The rider has 2 minutes to prepare on new horse and then another 45 seconds to enter arena and begin test after bell.
- If there is a saddle change needed, time will be given on an as-needed basis.
Presentation of Awards – Sunday Afternoon
- Upon completion of all rides, winners will be announced and Calcutta winners will be announced.
- Top Ten 10-1 to be awarded
- Riders do not have to be mounted during awards. Wranglers can hold horses.
In case of tie, a new mystery test will be ridden by the top two riders. This is a totally unknown test to both caller and rider. If a tie continues the Soft Feel Score will break the tie.
The rider is encouraged to memorize their tests. The use of a caller is not mandatory. Cowboy Dressage World allows the rider to use a caller of their choice, however, the ultimate responsibility for accurate and correct riding of the test falls upon the rider. If the rider chooses to use a caller, it is the rider’s responsibility to arrange for one.
Cowboy Dressage World will not be providing callers for riders.
Custom Framed Print—Top Hand Champion
Statue – Switch Horse Award
Cowboy Dressage World Top Hand Champion Buckle
Top Hand Top 2-5 Awards
Cowboy Dressage World Top Hand Finalist Buckle
Top Hand Champion Finalist Ribbons
Top Hand 6-10 Awards
Top Hand Top Ten Ribbons
All Top Hand Participants
Each Rider will receive a Cowboy Dressage Top Hand Competitor’s Shirt. Shirt must be worn during competitions and photo ops.
Please send shirt size, short bio and picture to email@example.com as soon as possible.
OFFICIAL HOTEL OF COWBOY DRESSAGE FINALS AND GATHERING
Tee Time available, talk to Concierge
Spa is Now Open!