2019 Cowboy Dressage World
RIDING FOR THE BRAND
WITH SPALDING LABS
Qualifying Tests October 9-11, 2019
Championship October 12, 2019
CDW Trifecta Competition
Please note that this new division is under development and may be subject to changes. Please keep checking back.
Riding for the Brand
Riding for the Brand was an unwritten code of the Old West but understood by everyone who agreed to live the cowboy life on the open range — that the cowboy should always “ride for the brand.” In the early days of the American West, a brand was a ranch’s trademark. It meant protecting the ranch and its livestock, whatever it took. The brand also represented pride, duty, stewardship, loyalty and dedication.
Perhaps a few lines of a cowboy poem say it best:
“Riding for the brand means to help neighbors and friends
search for that one last stray,
even though you’re tired and it’s the end of the day.
It’s just not the cowboy way to quit.”
Cowboy Dressage reflects those principles of being moral, just, fair and dedicated.
General Information for Riding for the Brand
Entry Fee $325
(Includes 3 tests & 2 test championship, shirt & website promotion)
Qualifying tests are as follows:
Cowboy Dressage World Challenge Test Walk/Jog/Lope – Test 2
Partnership on the Ground Test 2
Walk Jog Lope Freestyle
- The Riding for the Brand Trifecta is open to Amateur Riders, Open Riders, Clinicians and Professionals.
- All riders must be 18 years or older.
- Riders may enter more than one horse. If a rider has more than one horse in the Top Five, then the highest scoring horse must be ridden.
- The same rider and horse combination is required in all 3 tests and Championships
- Walk Jog Lope Freestyle must salute at beginning and end of test.
- All Riding for the Brand Walk Jog Lope Freestyle music must be turned into office on Tuesday by 5:00 p.m. Sound tests will be Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. Place to be determined. All music must be on thumb drive or CD with only one selection of music. If there is championship music that is different it must also be on a separate thumb drive or CD. No multiple music on either. This must be labeled (with rider’s name and when to start music) for qualifying test or championships.
- Qualifying Tests to be held during show days. These will be specialty classes and for Riding for the Brand Entries only.
Wednesday, October 9th – Riding for the Brand Partnership on the Ground Test
Thursday, October 10th – Riding for the Brand Challenge Walk/Jog/Lope Test 2
Friday, October 11th – Riding for the Brand Walk Jog Lope Freestyle
- The Top 5 riders for Final Competition to be posted by 7:00 p.m. on Friday, October 11th.
- The 6th place winner should be on stand-by for the Championship Competition.
- Mystery test can be picked up at the office one hour before the start of the Final Competition on Saturday, October 12th (Approximately 5:00 p.m.)
- Championship starts Saturday, October 12th in Arena 1. Approximately 6:30 PM.
- Awards will be given one hour after the competition ends on Saturday evening.
- A total of the percentage scores of all three tests for each horse/rider combination will be used for placings of the top five riders for the Championship.
- Two tests will be ridden by the Top Five riders. Both percentage scores will be combined for the Champion.
First: Mystery Test
Second: Walk Jog Lope Freestyle (There will be no required maneuvers)
- All Cowboy Dressage World Rules will apply. Rules can be found at https://cowboydressageworld.com/resources/rules-and-guidelines/ ; if there is a conflict in Rule Verbiage – these Rules take precedence.
- Each Rider must be a member of The Cowboy Dressage World Hand Shake (free). https://cowboydressageworld.com/membership-with-a-handshake/
- Each Rider must be a Remuda Member in good standing. https://cowboydressageworld.com/membership-with-a-handshake/join-us/
- Same horse and rider combination must compete in all three qualifiers to be eligible for the Championship.
- Substitutions of a horse and/or rider is allowed ($100 substitution fee) up until Tuesday, October 8th by 5:00 p.m. with veterinary excuse or approval by CDW Partners. Refunds only before entry closing date with written veterinary or Doctor’s excuse. No refunds after entry closing date.
- All exhibitors should check our Rules and Guidelines page for new rules for 2019.
- Entries and release will be on a separate entry blank
- Each rider must submit:
- A photo of yourself with your horse
- A short bio.
- Shirt size.
Entry will not be considered complete without these.
Send photo, bio and shirt size to Debbie Beth-Halachmy at: firstname.lastname@example.org. In Subject line put: Riding for the Brand. This information is due at close of entries. Pictures and bios will be posted at: cowboydressageworld.com.
- All entries, bios, pics and profiles will be featured on Cowboy Dressage World Website.
Schedule for Riding for the Brand
Tuesday, Oct 8th 5 pm.
Meeting of all riders at show office.
Shirts to be handed out.
Wednesday. Oct 9th
Riding for the Brand Partnership on the Ground #2
Arena and times to be determined.
Thursday, Oct. 10th
Riding for the Brand Challenge Walk/Jog/Lope #2
Arena and times to be determined.
Friday, Oct. 11th
Riding for the Brand Walk Jog Lope Freestyle (4 min)
There will be no required maneuvers
Friday, PM (by 7 PM)
Top Ten riders to be posted
Saturday, Oct. 12th, 5 PM
Mystery Test hand out at office (one hour before start of final competition)
5 pm Ticketed Dinner
Draw for order of go. (same order of go for both tests)
Top five ride Mystery Test
Top five will then ride a Freestyle. It can be different than their qualifying
test. (4 min); there are no required maneuvers.
Awards one hour after final competition
- Placings will be calculated by percentages, not points for Riding for the Brand
- Qualifying tests will have one judge.
- Total percentage score for all three qualifying tests will be combined.
- Tie Breaker: In case of tie in the qualifying tests the highest combined soft feel score will be used from Riding for the Brand Challenge Walk Jog Lope Test 2 and Riding for the Brand Partnership on the Ground Test 2.
- Championship tests will have 3 judges.
- The previous Qualifying score is not counted in final Top Five Placings.
- The combined score of the 1st and 2nd Go (Mystery test and Freestyle) will determine the placings for Champion.
- FREESTYLE: Qualifying Freestyle will follow Walk Jog Lope Freestyle score sheet.
Top 5 Freestyle test will be scored: 50% of the score is on general impression: Soft Feel, Partnership and Harmony. 50% of the score is based on technical merit.
Freestyles must salute at beginning and end of test. Top 5 Freestyle can be different than qualifying test. No required maneuvers for Top 5 Freestyle.
- In case of tie in the Riding for the Brand Championship the top two will re-ride the mystery test for the tie breaking score.
- If there is a tie between 2-5 places then the same protocol as the qualifying tests will be used.
Riding for the Brand Championships
Top Five Riders – First Go is the Mystery Test (callers allowed)
- Top Five Riders/Horses will have time to familiarize themselves with arena during Calcutta but cannot go inside the court.
- Top Five Horses cannot leave the arena.
- Each rider will have 45 seconds after the bell to enter the arena at A and begin their test.
Top Five Riders – Second Go is the Freestyle (4 minutes)
Upon completion of all rides, scores will be calculated, and winners will be announced, including Calcutta winners.
Top Ten (10-1) to be awarded. Riders do not have to be mounted during awards.
Riding for the Brand Championship Award
“Stay Tuned” will be posted soon.”